THE HISTORY OF FERMOYLE NS
Fermoyle NS is located 4KM from Lanesboro towards the south of the Rathcline parish and near the shore of Lough Ree. It has a commanding setting close to the crown of the hill with a beautiful, peaceful countryside spread out all around it.
The building has five classrooms, two Learning Support Rooms, a staff room and an office. It has a total staff of seven teachers:
Mrs Patricia Boyce Principal
Mrs Mary Belton Vice Principal
Mr. Sean McCormack Asst Principal 2
Mr. Ruiari Mathews
Ms. Roisin Regan
Special Education Teachers (SET): Ms. Lynch and Ms. Reilly
The school has traditionally served the people from the area of Fermoyle Parish and also several districts in the adjoining parish of Cashel and in more recent times the people of Lanesboro. There is a long tradition of education in the area going right back to the early days of Christianity. The island monasteries on Lough Ree nearby were noted for their schools of learning in early and later middle ages.
The current school building was opened on October 1st 1889. It contained two rooms – one for boys and one for girls. On Feb 20th 1923 The Department of Education sanctioned the addition of two more rooms to the school due to an increase in population. The school building and playground underwent further improvements in 1964 and 1974. In 1991, the school enrolment increased and a further classroom was added. Finally, a further extension of two classrooms and an Administration Office was added and officially opened in 2010 by Bishop Colm O’Reilly. This was funded by The Department of Education and The Parents Association.
The school grounds are extensive with Junior and Senior playgrounds, a football/sports field, landscaped gardens and external buildings for recreation during break times for the pupils. During the summer of 2016 an Astro Turf football pitch was added to the school facilities. We are currently in the process of developing a new Playground.
The school caters for boys and girls from infants to sixth class. It is under the patronage of the Catholic Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise.